New York Car Accident Lawyer
Millions Recovered for Our Clients
At The Paris Law Group, PC, we take pride in calling our clients our friends, and we zealously represent them as such. Our founding partner, Jason Paris, handles every aspect of each case so that our clients can concentrate on what’s most important: treating their injuries and improving their lives.
If you were injured in a car accident, we can help you through every stage of the legal process. This includes an in-depth investigation into the cause of your car accident and the extent of your injuries. We prepare every accident case with the utmost care so we will be ready to protect your interests in negotiations with the insurance companies and, if necessary, at trial.
Contact our New York car accident attorney online or call our office at (888) 365-4940 to request a free, confidential consultation. Se habla español.
Handling All Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents
We are a New York City law firm committed to representing auto accident victims who have suffered serious and catastrophic injuries. We also represent the surviving family members of individuals who have lost their lives in tragic car accidents in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and all other New York boroughs.
We handle cases involving all types of motor vehicle accidents, including:
- Hit-and-Run Accidents: When a motorist fails to stop after causing or being involved in an accident, this is known as a “hit and run.” We help victims of hit-and-run accidents seek compensation and justice.
- Distracted Driving Accidents: Our New York car accident lawyer can help you seek compensation if you were injured by a driver who was texting, eating, or otherwise distracted while driving.
- Drunk Driving Accidents: If you or your loved one was hit by a drunk driver, our firm can help you seek the fair recovery you are owed.
- Accidents with Uninsured Drivers: We can help you get the coverage and compensation you need after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Rear-End Collisions: We assist both rear and front drivers in rear-end collision claims and can determine who was at fault for your damages.
- Side-Impact Crashes: Also known as T-bone accidents, side-impact collisions can have devastating consequences. Our firm represents victims of these accidents in seeking recovery.
- Head-On Collisions: When two vehicles collide head-on, the results are nearly always catastrophic. We can help you seek the fair financial recovery you are owed.
- Fatal Accidents: If you lost a loved one in a fatal crash, we can help. We understand what you are facing during this difficult time, and we can help you hold the negligent driver accountable for your loss.
This is not a complete list; if you were injured in any type of car accident in New York, turn to the team at The Paris Law Group, PC for the dedicated and compassionate legal representation you deserve.
What to Do After an Accident
There are some definite “do’s and don’ts” to follow after being involved in a car wreck. Doing the wrong thing or failing to do the right thing can make getting any recovery from the accident much more difficult. If you have been in an accident is important to remember the following:
- While at the scene, take pictures of the position of the vehicles, license plate numbers, skid marks, etc.
- Notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident as soon as as practical. Prior to notifying them, however, take the time to read and understand your car insurance policy, what it covers and excludes in an accident.
- When you speak to an insurance agent, jot down notes as you speak and write down the contact information of those to whom you speak, including supervisors.
- Remember that some additional coverage may be provided under a homeowner’s policy or credit card; investigate all potential sources.
- Tell the truth to the police and your insurer. Lying can only get you in trouble and may result in coverage being denied.
- Keep receipts for expenses related to injuries, treatment and pursuit of your claim. This may include tolls, lodging, meals and other costs.
- Insurance companies always throw out lowball offers first. Don’t take the bait.
- Contact an attorney to explore your legal options.
Who Is Liable for a Car Accident?
Determining who is legally liable for a car accident depends largely on fault—the at-fault party will almost always be the person who is also legally liable for the resulting damages. But what if more than one person or party was to blame?
Under New York’s comparative negligence rules, you are permitted to file a personal injury claim and seek damages even if you were partly at fault for an accident. And because the state follows a rule of pure comparative negligence, you do not need to prove that the other person/party was more to blame than you in order to recover compensation. However, your total recovery will be reduced by whatever percentage of fault you are assigned.
For example, if a jury decides that you were 20% at fault for an accident, you will only be able to recover up to 80% of the total amount you would have otherwise been able to receive if you were not to blame whatsoever.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents
After suffering through a motor vehicle accident, especially one that has resulted in an injury, you will likely be weighed down by uncertainty and fear. The best step you can take will be to ask questions and get answers. Here, we have provided answers to some of the most common questions that we receive. We hope that this will help you have a clearer idea of what to expect and a direction for where your case may go.
How long do I have to file my car accident claim?
After the accident, you will have three years to file the claim. The timer will start the day of the accident, and you will then have three years to bring about the claim against the private party. If, however, the claim is against a government entity, you will only have three months to file a document called a Notice of Claim. After that is filed, you have a year and ninety days to take action.
How long will the case take to complete?
No two cases are alike, which means that the timeframe will also be different from case to case. On average, a case can take anywhere from one to three years to resolve. As a general principle, the more complex your case is, the longer it will take to settle.
Will I have to go to court?
Not every case will need to go to trial. In fact, most cases stay out of court and are handled through settlement. If a case must go to trial, however, we will prepare it to do so.
What if a vehicle malfunction caused my accident?
When it comes to litigation for an automobile accident, there may be numerous players involved. In some cases, the vehicle manufacturer may be held liable for the accident if there was a malfunction to the car prior to the accident, such as tire blowout, brake failure, or mechanical failure. In this case, you will likely need to file a product liability claim.
What if the at-fault driver does not have insurance or their insurance is inadequate?
In this case, the victim of the accident may be able to make a claim under his or her own auto insurance policy. This is referred to as UM/SUM coverage and is utilized in these sorts of circumstances.
Get the Experienced Legal Support You Need
Motor vehicle accidents are complex events that call for experienced legal assistance. When you choose The Paris Law Group, PC to represent you, you can rest assured that we have the resources and knowledge you need. We work with accident reconstruction experts, vocational rehabilitation specialists, and other professionals to fully develop each case.
We offer legal services in English, Spanish, and Russian. We also provide free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you do not owe any upfront expenses and we only collect attorneys’ fees if and when we win your case.
Call our New York car accident attorney at (888) 365-4940 today to request a complimentary case evaluation.
Slip & Fall $11 Million
A well-known cellist was awarded almost $11 million after a slip and fall in a gourmet food market that resulted in injuries that now hamper her ability to play the instrument.
Pedestrian Knockdown $2.8 Million
The client was a pedestrian crossing the street when she was hit by a yellow school bus making a left-hand turn. As a result of the impact, she was forced to fall to the ground and sustained an injury to her shoulder and lower back, both of which resulted in surgeries.
Bus Accident $2.1 Million
A mediated settlement was reached on the eve of trial on behalf of the client who was a driver of a motor vehicle which was struck in the rear by a bus.
Pedestrian Accident $2 Million
The client, a young boy, was crossing the street near his home on Staten Island when he slipped on ice in the roadway and was hit by a car.
Car Accident $1.7 Million
The client was an ambulance driver responding to an emergency call. While in the process of making a left-hand turn with the ambulance lights and sirens in operation, he was struck by a vehicle going straight.
Truck Accident $1.5 Million
The client, a 37-year-old man, was struck in the rear by a truck while driving his car and subsequently underwent neck surgery. The defendant claimed the client cut him off. We aggressively litigated the case and on the eve of trial the defendant agreed to pay $1.5 million after previously taking a no-pay position.
Car Accident $1.25 Million
Through aggressive litigation, full policy limits in the amount of $1.25 million were tendered within 14 months of the accident for the injured passenger in a motor vehicle accident. The client was a rear-seat passenger in a motor vehicle that was pulled over on the shoulder of the Staten Island Expressway when it was rear-ended by the defendant in the early morning hours.
Slip & Fall $1.2 Million
The client tripped and fell coming out of a bar in Staten Island, sustaining injuries to her knee, neck, and back. The bar claimed that the accident never happened, and the bar blamed the owner of the premises for the condition of the sidewalk, with the owner of the premises blaming the bar.
Slip & Fall Injury $1 Million
A settlement was reached with a confidential defendant as a result of a fall at work. The client worked as a cash handler collecting money from banks. After picking up a bag of cash from a bank and placing it in the back of his armored vehicle, the security ink packets exploded frightening the client and causing him to fall backward, striking his head against the floor.
Scaffolding Accident $1 Million
In very contentious litigation and after extensive negotiations and multiple mediations, a settlement was reached for the client in the amount of $1 million. The client was working on a scaffold at a construction site when he lost his balance and fell 10 feet to the ground.