Pedestrian Crash Rates in New York
Unsurprisingly, New York City remains one of the top tourist attractions in the United States—in 2019, it saw 66.6 million visitors. According to many travel blogs and locals, fall is one of the ideal times to visit because of the mild weather and seasonal foliage. However, this also means that it can be a dangerous time for pedestrians.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) shows that November has the highest number of fatal pedestrian accidents in New York State, followed by December and September. When broken down seasonally, fall had 10% more fatalities than the next highest season (winter) from 2016 to 2020.
What Contributes to Fall Pedestrian Crashes?
Although one of the most significant contributors to fall having more pedestrian crashes is the tourism in NYC during this time, especially in November with the parade, other influential factors exist.
Wet leaves can collect on sidewalks and make them more slippery, leading to falls.This time of year also sees an increase in hours of darkness, with sunset happening as early as 5:22 pm in November. Poor lighting conditions make it harder for pedestrians and drivers to see each other, which can result in crashes.
What Can You Do to Stay Safe as a Pedestrian in New York?
There are some things that both pedestrians and drivers can do to help make the streets safer for everyone during the fall season.
- Wear light-colored or reflective clothing when walking at night.
- Stay on the sidewalks whenever possible and only cross at marked crosswalks.
- Pay attention to their surroundings and avoid distracted walking, such as looking at their phone while crossing the street.
- Be extra cautious when driving in areas where pedestrians are more likely to be present.
- Slow down and yield to pedestrians, even if they are not in a crosswalk.
- Be especially aware at night and in poor weather conditions, when visibility is more limited.
New York City Injury Attorneys
Our The Paris Law Group, PC team wants you to enjoy this season in New York without having to worry about being involved in an accident. If you’ve sustained an injury because of someone else’s negligence, we can help you seek justice. Call (888) 365-4940 today to schedule a free consultation.